In the beginning of the project Ole Petter and I were in England at Animex so we didn’t do a lot of work there, except thinking out stories. But while we were down there Ole Kristian made a very nice ident, so when we came home from UK we all agreed to use that ident.
We quikly decided to use an application called DropBox and make a collaborate folder there. This allowed us to share all the files very easily, and in the end of the project we ended up buying more space in DropBox since it got full. But it is a very nice program.
The first thing we had to get done were to come up with a story, and write a treatment for it. I think this part of the planning stage worked very well in our group. We all sat together and came up with a lot of ideas.
After just a day or two we had a rough idea of what the story would be like.
So Ole Petter wrote the first treatment, and we all read it and came up with alternativs.
We also took a couple hours to make a time estimate.
When the treatment were more or less done we knew what kind of scenes, props and characters we would need.
Øyvind and Ole Kristian drew some concepts and we were moving forward in a good pace.
During the concept stage of the production we also made some pretty big changes to our treatment, after talking to a film teacher who knows much more about storytelling than we do, and I think the whole group agrees when I say that the changes made the film better.
When we had agreed about what kind of style we wanted and had a few concept drawings ready we started modeling while Øyvind drew the storyboard.
Then after the storyboard where finished I made a little animatic out of it.
Before I went back to the group and continued modeling.
Ole Kristian made the main scene and the fat miner plus some props,
Øyvind made the main character,
Ole Petter made the thin miner, the train and some props.
I made the generic people, and some props, like the posters and ticket machine.
This far into the project we still worked well together and communicated very well, we had goals and deadlines for a lot of stuff so we didn’t fall behind schedual.
When the most important modeling were done we just needed to rig the characters so we could start animating.
Ole Kristian rigged the fat miner and the main character, Ole petter rigged the thin miner and I rigged the generic people, and the train doors.
When it came to animating we simply used the animatic and treatment to delegate different scenes to different people, and I think this worked very well for us.
So everyone has animated parts of the film, instead of having one person animate the main character through the movie and another person to animate the generic people and so on.
In the last few weeks when we had entered the postproduction phase, and we had started rendring and comping, we could feel the pressure and there were a lot of late nights. We rendered on all available computers and we even had to lower the settings to get it done.
Ole Kristian did the comping, Ole Petter did most of the editing, Øyvind and I recorded the sounds, I did also edit the movie, and I made the credits.
I also made the DVD cover, DVD-label and a autorun Icon, just to make everything look a bit more professional.
So after all this time and pressure we’re all still friends and there has been little discussions. So I think we have worked well together and everyone has contributed very well, and worked hard for the group. I think the differences in our group made the group work so well. Instead of being a group were everyone just wanted to animate or model, there was one that wanted to do drawings and one that wanted to do another task and so on.
I am very happy with the group and the result.